Welcome to our Blog

Welcome to our Blog!
We plan to use this Blog to update our friends and families of our new adventures in the Big Apple and New Jersey.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Charlie's Trips to the Midwest - weekend of August 25th


As we mentioned a few posts ago, I (Charlie) made the trip to the Midwest a few times since Brady was born.  Both times I made a trip to Chicago first before heading to a friend's special event.  The reason?  We're moving to Chicago in a few weeks.  My rotation out here in Montvale is up and a good opportunity came up to move back to the Midwest.  The other option was to stay here and I'd work in New York City, but once Chicago got in the picture we decided that was the best fit.  The opportunity to work on certain clients there combined with the fact that it's closer to family and friends was too good.  So, we're moving to Chicago next week!  Right now we're very busy trying to get things settled with where we'll live (which will be in Lake View, which is in the city limits to the North), getting our stuff ready for movers and all sorts of odds and ends.

Having our parents come up to New Jersey was very helpful - I got to head down to Chicago to look for places, and I was able to go back for a couple special occasions!  The second one was a weekend at the end of August, when my parents were in New Jersey.  I flew to Chicago to look at a house we liked, and we decided to go with it once I'd seen it in person.  After that, I drove down to Cincinnati for a friend's wedding - Brad, who is a friend from way back when I was a little kid in elementary school in Wyoming.  Brad lives in Paris now, so I don't get to see him very often - thus his wedding was something I didn't want to miss.  Brad got married to Claire, who is French, though they actually met in China!  The wedding was at his parents' farm in Brookville, Indiana, which is about an hour west of Cincinnati.  I stopped by for a couple hours Friday night for the get-together they had the night before, then headed to my parents' house in Wyoming to stay the night.  Very importantly, I picked up late night La Rosa's for dinner on my way there.  Got to get in the favorites while I'm back home in Cincy!

For lunch the next day, I met up with sister Abby for lunch.  She drove down from Wright State where she's going to medical school.  We met sort of halfway at Gold Star Chili - so I got another opportunity for a taste of Cincinnati.  It was good to see "Aunt Abby" - hopefully she gets to meet Brayden soon.  Abby just took her boards and will be applying for a residency over the next few months, all during her 4th year of medical school.

I snuck in a little time to watch (on TV) a ceremony for Barry Larkin getting his jersey retired at the Reds game, then drove to Brookville for the Wedding.  The ceremony was beautiful - it was held in a Gazebo on the lake at his parents' farm.


After that, there was dinner outside and of course, followed by plenty of dancing.  I was amazed at how many family and friends came all the way from France to celebrate Brad and Claire's wedding.  A few of them taught me how to order a beer in French - though I seem to have already forgotten (looking it up, it's "Je veux une biere, s'il vous plait" :) ).  It was cool to see Brad and meet Claire.  The last time I saw Brad was almost 3 years ago, when he stayed with Katie and I in Columbus for a few days.  He had just started dating Claire, so it was good to see that relationship has grown into a very happy marriage.  Congrats to the happy couple!


No comments:

Post a Comment